classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Prasant Prasant
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

About Ruby Programming

Dai, Namaskar.
I am Prasant Adhikari, a student currently doing my a level second year in Buddhanilkantha School.
About a year ago, I came up with a concept. I call it sahityaprem.com as my pet word. The basic idea is to open up a site where well established nepali books could be uploaded for those who would like to read nepali e-books.

It is just an idea and I am no great enterpreneur. However, I do love Nepali Literature and I am determined the pursue the idea.

I called softnep, gave the specifications of my required site and asked for an estimation. The answered arrived: 50,000.

I have witnessed many problems in this particular quest but I have come to you to discuss this problem in particular. After the estimation came I realized that it would be foolish to think of depending entirely on others if I wanted to bring this idea to fruition. I am a computer student since my day from grade four and I have always found programming fascinating, engaging and now, it had come down to necessity.

I discussed this with my teacher who by my luck happened to be from MIT. I discussed with him this problem and he recommended me to learn ruby and gave two books. His intern was over and he went back. Though Ruby got interested and I liked the language, with no one around to guide in single unfortunate case, Ruby at times became frustrating.

I tried popular languages among my friends like php but something just didn't work; Ruby kept being tempting idea but just keep me in it.

About a month ago, I came to know that you are the person who could guide a student through Ruby. Then I went back to ruby for my homework. Its done to the point that I am ready to face you. I am not asking you to be my private tutor. I understand its too much to ask but I have been wasting around a lot of time just to set up rails and sqlite on my device( I have done ruby enough on irb to jump on rails). I just want that before I finish my a-levels, I have enough skill at my command to actually start working on site and not concern myself with simple syntax and concepts. All I ask of you is that you set me up in good terms with ruby and rails with a brief introduction and by helping set my computer that it runs rails and sqlite.

I am very hopeful and in utter need of your positive response.

I am sorry that the things written here are too unexplaining and may be a little rude at times, but hope that you will understand that I am writing under the restriction of my limited IT time in school. I wish to explain everything to you over a meeting, under your convenience.
xecutioner xecutioner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: About Ruby Programming

Dear Prasant

if you really want to persue your idea. I am more than ready to  help with it to mentor you through ruby on rails. But make sure there would be no copyright issues with the authors before making the e-books available online. You can mail me at xecutioner.kapil@gmail.com for further communication.

With regards,
Kapil raj nakhwa.
sthapit sthapit
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Prasant
@Prasant - it is very easy to get started on Rails, and for prototypes you can do it for pretty much for free.  For example I coded http://www.milnu.com (which is a very simple Rails app) in a pretty short time frame in my free time and I hosted it on heroku for free.

Just install Ruby on your computer and install Rails.  Once you have a simple prototype (just a simple "hello world") host it on heroku.  You can then keep working on your app as you get feedback and iterate.  Don't worry - there's lots of resources and if you get stuck we can help you push along :)
Prasant Prasant
Reply | Threaded
|

Thank you for such an encouraging reply. I will mail the books little later..no copyright issues, anyway. But first I need rails running in my computer which it doesnot. Please help with that. I cant get my computer online to install online. I need all files to download first. I donot know which are the necessary files and I also need an ide.
sthapit sthapit
Reply | Threaded
|

are you sure you cannot get access to a computer that can go online?  it would make a world of difference if you could.

as far as IDEs i don't use one - any text editor will do (i use textmate on a mac and when i'm on a windows computer i use textpad) but if feel like you must use one then eclipse/aptana is a good free IDE that can auto complete ruby commands - see http://aptana.com
Prasant Prasant
Reply | Threaded
|

Dai, How do i host my app in heroku?
harilo harilo
Reply | Threaded
|

this has everything you need to get started http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/rails3
Prasant Prasant
Reply | Threaded
|

Well, I do have an internet connection now and I read the link you snt earlier but here is this problem with Heroku. I am using ubuntu and any command that has heroku written in it won't work. the error message always same but its really long error message. the message is .........no such file to load............ I need help.