How well does C.J. Beathard have to play to earn franchise role?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
sustr18 sustr18
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How well does C.J. Beathard have to play to earn franchise role?

It wasn a surprise when the San Francisco 49ers benched Brian Hoyer for rookie C.J. Beathard. Actually, that isn strictly true  most expected a couple more games of Hoyer before he gave way to Beathard, the unknown and raw rookie with a ceiling that many view as a moving target.Beathard will instead have plenty of time to impress the 49ers and earn the nod going into the offseason ... and also plenty of time to completely and utterly fail.That just the truth of things. Beathard was not one of the top quarterbacks in the draft and statistically speaking, he has a theoretical ceiling that isn as high as someone like a Jared Goff or someone else. The conventional wisdom is that the 49ers will invest again in the position next year  whether they draft someone early or try and sign someone like Kirk Cousins. In reality, the chances of Beathard actually being the starting quarterback in 2018 are slim https://www.49ersuniform.com/49ers_Tank_Carradine_Jersey. So slim, in fact, that some would say he has no chance.I not there, myself, but the harsh reality of being an NFL quarterback make me believe wee not too far off from that. I don think Beathard is going to do much this year  he too raw and the 49ers aren good enough around him. But I do wonder what would it take for him to actually give the 49ers enough confidence to not seriously address the position next year?If they somehow become convinced that Beathard could be the answer, it wouldn make sense to draft a quarterback in the first round Pierre Garcon Jersey. They would still likely add another veteran body to compete, but they wouldn want to waste a draft pick if they think the quarterback of the future is on the roster.